Digital marketing is part of the marketing domain. Now the obvious question what exactly is digital marketing? It is marketing done via the internet to promote a service or a product. It is becoming more and more popular as the number of users who use revolutionary technology of devices like computer, laptop, and most important smartphones are increasing day by day.
Importance of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is foremost important for companies these days as it is vital for business especially for Product based companies. In today’s time if a consumer wants to know about a particular product his first step is to search it on google, isn’t it? if Your company doesn’t have an online presence then you won’t be able to directly contact your potential customers which in turn will result in loss of business. It doesn’t matter if your company is a small or medium enterprise it should have an online presence if not on all platforms least you can do is having a website.
Types of Internet Marketing
Digital Marketing in itself is quite a diverse niche. There are 7 categories of digital marketing Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Marketing (SMM), Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Content marketing, email –marketing, Affiliate Marketing. To get the most effective result most of these techniques are used in different kinds of combinations depending upon various factors.
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization is the most important technique or process to rank high on the search engine result page (SERP). The better the quality of content higher the website is going to rank. It is an organic way to rank your website or blog. SEO is of two types On-page and Off-page SEO. On-page includes your Description, Content, Url structure, Title, Meta Tags. Off-page techniques include Keywords, internal linking, external linking, Backlinking, etc. SEO is the core of Digital Marketing.
- SMM: Social Media Marketing is used for promotion and advertisement of your product or service. Usage of social media sites like Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin, Youtube, Pinterest, what’s app, etc. It helps in improving the brand value as it connects you directly with your customer. It helps you get feedback about your product or service. Through social media marketing, we can get more visible as a brand. The number of people using these platforms is 7.7 billion, so the market has the potential for every kind of product or service.
- SEM: It is a form of digital marketing that implies the Promotion of websites to increase their visibility on SERP. it is done through paid advertisements. It is an inorganic way to rank your websites. As of now, there are over 1 billion websites and it’s only going to increase which means competition is going to increase in every field. As the competition is tuff companies want to advertise more to increase their customer base and market share which is where search engine marketing comes into play. Pay per click is an example of SEM, Google offers SERP results through Google AdWords, Yahoo offers through Yahoo! Search Marketing, there are complex filter options to get the best results out of Paid advertisements.
- Content Marketing: Publication of quality content for the targeted audience so that you can engage them. It is a simple strategy of distributing content regularly to your audience so that you can retain them. Content can be diverse, it can be in the form of a blog, video, e-book, vlogs, webinars. It is used to attract new customer, to increase sales. To get success in content marketing the most important thing we need to focus on is regularity i.e frequent posts along with the quality of content. It is getting more and more popular nowadays and even companies like Page traffic, Studio Mosaic are offering specific positions for Content marketing.
- Affiliate Marketing: It’s a simple process in which you promote other people’s product and in return, the affiliate gets a commission or cut, it’s a business model in which all people gain something, customer get there product, the seller gets sales and affiliate gets a piece of sales. if you have a marketing channel or a website you can become an affiliate marketer. There are various ways in which you can get paid like pay per sale, pay per lead, or pay per click as well. Research for a niche relating to your website and affiliate products according to it. For example, if you have a website about books and you have created or built your audience you can affiliate different books of different genres from an e-commerce portal like Amazon.
- Email Marketing: An official email message sent to a large number of people in one go is known as email marketing. It can be sent for various purposes like promotion, feedback, information, request, offers, etc. It is also used for remarketing to the potential and loyal customers, most of the business comes from the people who became your customer by using your product or service and are happily satisfied with it, now they will not only look out for your service but will highly recommend to others as well. It can be sent to follow up the leads generated by your websites to the potential customers or to inform your existing loyal customers about upcoming offers. It is a way to remarket your brand or product. There are many tools and software which provide automated email marketing like mail chimp.
With the advancement of technology, the use of the internet became popular, and with the increase in no of users in the last 5 years the potential of digital marketing became enormous which is why it is important to learn at least the basic level of Digital Marketing.
Also in a situation where the world is in a lockdown where everything has been shut down, the economy is blown away. People who are working online have been least affected they still earning well and good for example YouTubers, bloggers, Content creates. Covid-19 hasn’t affected their financial earnings That’s the power on the internet in today’s time and it’s only going to increase in the future.